Kindergarten Registration for the upcoming school year usually takes place in the spring. Announcements of the date and time are published in local newspapers and a sign is placed on the town common prior to the registration nights.
The following documents must be submitted when registering your child for Kindergarten:
- Birth Certificate with a raised seal (all students must be 5 years old before September 1st of the upcoming school yeart)
- Immunization records
- Recent physical examination records
- Two forms of proof of residency (i.e. mortgage/rental agreement, utility bill for the address listed)
- Home Language Survey (provided by the school)
- Epi-pen/Food Allergy Form (provided by the school)
Kindergarten screening is a requirement of Massachusetts Special Education Regulations, which requires that the screening of all kindergarteners takes place by October 31st of the year they enter school. The screening is not an evaluation. It is a brief series of assessments that provide information about a child’s development in relation to the development of other youngsters of the same age. Screening is scheduled at Kindergarten Registration and usually takes place at the end of the current school year.
Kindergarten screening is used to identify young children in need of further diagnostic evaluations to determine if they have special education needs. The screening:
- Is not used to determine if a child is ready for kindergarten.
- Does not determine whether or not a child may attend kindergarten.
- Is not used for placement of a child in a particular group or kindergarten class.